Feorlygn - Blasse Buche (Haya Pálida)

Neri eder zaizkidan pasarte batzuk jartzeko besterik ez den zoko bat

e diel, qershor 12, 2005

Pearl

[...]
Then would I tarry no longer, but stole away among leafy, pleasant boughs, till I spied a hill, and, as I hurried on, looked out upon the city beyond the river, revealed at a distance, shining with rays brighter than the sun. In the Apocalypse is shown its fashion, as there described by John the Apostle. And as John beheld it with his own eyes, in like manner saw I that city of renown – Jerusalem so new, so royally arrayed, as it was descended out of heaven.
The city was all of fine gold, bright, burnished, and radiant, like clear shining glass, and garnished beneath with precious gems. In twelve steps up from the lowest base rose twelve foundations of rich jointure, and each tier was a separate stone. Thus splendidly doth John the Apostle describe this very city in the book of his Vision. As he there doth name these stones, so knew I their names after his tale: jasper was the name of the first that I discerned on the first stage; it shone all green along the lowest course; sapphire filled the second step; then chalcedony without blemish shone pure and pale in the third; the fourth was emerald all green; the fifth, sardonyx; then the ruby hath the Apostle named sixth in order. Thereto he added the chrysolite as the seventh in the foundation; and the eighth, beryl, clear and white; the ninth, topaz of twofold hue inlaid; tenth in order, the chrysoprase; the eleventh is the precious jacinth; the twelfth, the most precious of all, is the purple amethyst blent with indigo. Above these courses overhung the wall of jasper clear as glass; I knew it by John’s story in the Apocalypse.
Still more did I see, as he hath set it forth. These twelve steps were broad yet steep, and above them stood the city, a perfect square – in length, breadth, and height, all fair and equal. The streets of gold were as transparent glass; the jasper walls gleamed like glair; the houses within were adorned with all kinds of precious stones that could be brought together. And each side of this city stretched the space of twelve furlongs ere it ended, in height, and length, and breadth, just equal, for the Apostle saw it measured.
Yet more did I see of what John hath written. Each side of the city had three gates, and thus I beheld twelve in order, the portals overlaid with rich plates; and each gate of a single margery-pearl that fadeth never. Each one bore a name in writing, which are the names of the children of Israel in the order of their birth, beginning with the oldest.
Such light shone in all streets that they had no need of the sun, neither of the moon. Sun nor moon wanted they; for surely the very God was their bright lamp, and the Lamb was their lantern, and through him the whole city was filled with brightness. Over wall and dwelling ran my eyes, for air so subtle and clear could bar no light. The high throne one might there behold surrounded with all the array declared in the words of John; and the high God himself was seated thereon. Forth out of the throne there ran a river brighter than sun or moon. Neither of these ever shone with light so sweet as did that abounding flood, where it gushed forth from the ground. Swift did it run on through every street, without mingling of filth, or pollution, or slime. Church, nor chapel, nor temple was ever set in that place, but the Almighty was their proper sanctuary, the Lamb, the sacrifice, was there as refreshment. The gates of the city were never chut, but stood always open toward every quarter. Therein entereth none to take refuge who beareth any taint whatsoever. The moon could never share that glory; too spotty is her globe, too grim her favor; and since there is no night there, what need that the moon climb thither in her course, or try to equal that supernatural light that shineth upon the river’s brink? The planets are in too poor a plight, and the very sun himself is far too dim. On either side of the water are trees all bright that bear the twelve fruits of life full early; and twelve times a year do they bring forth in their vigor, and renew their fruit each month.
No heart of mortal man beneath the moon could endure so great a marvel as I beheld when I gazed upon that city, so wondrous was its fashion. I stood as still as a frightened quail at that strange and radiant apparition; of neither rest nor toil was I aware, so ravished was I with its pure gleam. For I dare say in all surety that, if one in the body had met that boon, though all the learned men in the world had him in cure, his life had been lost for ever.
And as the moon doth rise in mighty splendor, ere the last day-gleam hath sunk with the sun, so in wondrous manner I was suddenly aware of a procession. This noble city of glory and splendor was presently filled with virgins all unsummoned, in the same guise as was my blessed one that wore the crown; so crowned were they all alike and appareled in pearls and robes of white; and each one’s breast was delightfully adorned with the blessed pearl. Joyfully they walked together on the golden streets that shone as glass; hundreds of thousand I thought they were, and all alike in their liveries. Hard was it to find the gladdest face among them. Before them walked the Lamb in state, having seven horns of bright red gold; like pearls of great price was his raiment. Toward th throne they took their way. And, though great was their number, there was no crowding among them, but mild as gentle maidens at mass, so walked they forth in perfect joy.
The joy that awoke at the Lamb’s forthcoming was too great to tell. The elders, as he drew near, fell prostrate at his fett. Legions of angels, assembled there, scattered incense of sweet savor. Then the sounds of praise and joy burst forth anew: all sang together in honor of that bright Jewel; and the sound of voices which the angels of heaven then uttered in their joy could have struck down through earth into hell. Then in sooth I conceived a great and glad desire to praise the Lamb there in the midst of his train, and delight filled my heart to tell of him and his marvelous guise. Best was he, and blithest, and worthiest of all that ever I heard praised – so adorably white his raiment, so simple his look, himself so gentle. But a wound full wide and wet with blood appeared close against his heart, torn through his skin; and from his fair side gushed his blood. Alas! thought I, who did that outrage? Any breast ought to have burned up for sorrow, ere one found delight in that deed. Yet could no one doubt the Lamb’s joy. For though he was hurt and wounded, it appeared not in his countenance, so full of light and gladness and glory were his eyes.
I looked among his bright company, and saw how abounding and filled they were with eternal life. Then I found there my little queen that I thought had stood near me in the valley. Ah God, with many a sweet sound did she make merry, so white among her peers! The sight of her made me think in my ectasy of wading the stream for my love’s desire. Delight filled eye and ear, and my mortal mind dissolved in madness. When I saw my wondrous child, I yearned to be there with her, though she was withheld from me beyond the water. I thought nothing could hurt me by striking me a blow and laming me. If no one could prevent my plunging into the stream, I hoped to swim the interval in safety, though I should die for it at last.
But from that sudden purpose I was shaken, for when in my perversity, I would have started forward into the water, back was I called from my intent – it was not my Prince’s will. It pleased him not that I rushed headlong over these wondrous marches in so mad a plight. Though I was rash and rude in my haste, yet quickly was I stayed therein; for, as I hurried to the brink, the start roused me suddenly from my dream.
Then I awoke in that pleasant arbor, and my head was still laid upon the very hillock where my Pearl had slipped from me into the ground. And, as I stretched myself, I became dazed with a great fear; and anon with a deep sigh I said: “Now let all things be according to the Prince’s pleasure.” I was ill pleased to be thrust out so suddenly from that beauteous region, with all its sights vivid and fair; a heavy longing struck me down into a swoon; and thereafter I cried out ruefully; “O Pearl of rich renown, dear to me is all that thou hast told in this true vision. If it be a right and true report that thou farest thus in a bright garland, then it is well with me also here in this dungeon of sorrow to know that thou art dwelling in the Prince’s favor.”
[...]